Sunday 11 August 2013

Runner Bean Chutney

Good evening all.

Long time no blog again for me, there are no excuses I have just been very lazy!

A few day trips, gardening and just chilling.

No card today just a recipe for my mum's runner bean chutney. This is fab for using up a glut of beans if you grow your own or know someone who does!



4 lb Runner beans
4 lb Demerara sugar
8 large onions
3 tablespoons dry mustard
3 tablespoons Cornflour
3 tablespoons Turmeric
3 pints draft vinegar


Slice beans and boil until tender. Drain.
Boil onions in salted water, drain and chop.
Put beans and onions in a large saucepan and bring to the boil with 2 1/2 pints of vinegar and the sugar.
Boil for 15 mins.
Mix together the Turmeric, mustard and Cornflour in 1/2 pint vinegar. Add to the boiling mixture and boil for another 15 mins.
Cool slightly and pot.


Yummy with cold meats and in a cheese sarnie!

Not sure why the recipe says to boil the onions then chop them but I chopped first!


Hope to be back soon with a card.

TTFN

3 comments:

  1. Hi Eve

    Pleased to hear you are enjoying yourself.

    Many thanks for the recipe. I will get it printed off and stuck in my magic recipe book .. .. just in case the freezers get too full to take any more beans!! LOL!!

    Do I just use brown malt vinegar?

    Will let you know if I make some.

    Thanks again and have a good week.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh.. this sounds lovely.
    I've never made a chutney before. Another thing to add to my 'to do' list :-)
    Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I may have to give this a go Eve! I always have far too many to eat and end up giving them away as I'm not a huge fan of freezing them...they just don't taste the same!
    Lizy xx

    ReplyDelete

Hi there,
thanks for stoppin' by.
I'd love to receive a comment to prove that I'm not talking to myself!
Thanks
Eve x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...